Vision AfriKa’s primary school marked Child Protection Week in early June with a visit from Stellenbosch’s police captain to talk about how the learners could best keep themselves safe.
Captain Me Miti discussed the dangers that young children face on a daily basis and warned them not to:
- Speak to or accept gifts from a stranger
- Get into a stranger’s car
- Play on the streets on the walk home from school
- Play on the streets after dark
- Play in the local park due to teenage boys causing trouble there.
She also warned the students to be alert to suspicious-looking cars parking outside the school building and to notify the police if they saw any. The presentation concluded with an informative question and answer session.